Beef Stroganoff with Char-grilled Shallots
Beef Steak and Mushrooms is an established family favourite.
Give it a flavour twist with the addition of some Char-grilled Shallots and serve it on a bed of Deluxe Polenta / Mash or RICE
Hubby and Mattie gave me a 10/10!!
YOU WILL NEED
Steak and Mushrooms
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 400 – 500 g rump steak, snip into the fat
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 250 g portobellini mushrooms, thickly sliced –( I used normal mushrooms)
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Beef Stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh cream
- 3 T (45 ml) marinade from Char-grilled Shallots – (I made my own)
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 3 of Ina Paarman’s Char-grilled Shallots, thinly sliced across (could’nt find)
- I bought a small bag on the mini onions
- Red drinking / cooking wine
- tsp sugar
Deluxe Polenta – I made RICE but will try with Mash next time!
- 4 cups (1 litre) full cream milk
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- ¾ cup (180 ml) coarse yellow polenta
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
Heat the oil in a large heavy based frying pan.
Add the whole steak, fry until well browned, keep covered on one side.
My added ingredient as I could not find Paarman Shallots
( I cut onions and fried them in butter , added 1 tsp sugar and some Red Cooking Wine and then added the mushrooms once onions were soft)
Add the butter to the same pan and stir-fry the mushrooms.
Add the undiluted Beef Stock, cream and shallot vinaigrette. Remove from the heat. Slice the cooked steak into thin strips against the grain and season with Garlic Pepper Seasoning.
Bring the mushroom mixture to the boil, add the meat, sliced shallots and any juices that might have leaked out.
Simmer for 5 minutes and serve with Deluxe Polenta.
Bring the milk to the boil and add the Chicken Flavour Stock Powder. Add the polenta in a thin stream to the stock while whisking with a wire whisk.
Cook slowly with the lid on for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in butter. Dish up.